Image by Markus Winkler


In the event that you are unhappy with either the interpreting or the conduct of the interpreter you are working with, there are several ways for you to raise your concerns.

Ideally, you should provide feedback to the interpreter in the first instance. I am very open to receiving feedback about my work. The majority of interpreters aim to practice with integrity and feedback is usually received in the spirit with which it is intended; to support their development as professionals.

It is important to remember when considering your feedback that interpreters are human and everyone has days where their work may not the best representation of their abilities; this does not necessarily mean that they are unprofessional or unskilled, it just means that they may be having an off day. It benefits everyone involved to talk to the interpreter about your concerns first; you may be able to alleviate them in situ, or via email after the event.

If you are still not satisfied that the matter has been resolved, or you feel that the interpreter has not been receptive to feedback, you can find out more about raising a concern or complaint below.

Image by Austin Distel


The NRCPD are the main body responsible for registering and regulating sign language interpreters and other language service professionals who work with the deaf community. Regulation is important because it means that interpreters are able to evidence their willingness to be held accountable for their professional practice, and this helps to keep the public safe by providing a clear process for escalating issues or disputes to a third party.

There are currently two options for making the NRCPD aware of an issue. The first option is to raise a concern. This is an easy way for people who are worried about an interpreters work or behaviour to let the NRCPD know, without going through the lengthy process of submitting a formal complaint. This can help the NRCPD to understand your concerns about a particular interpreter and they may contact them informally to discuss it. If they feel that your concerns are serious enough, they may encourage you to write up a formal complaint.

If you do feel strongly that the interpreter behaved in a way that has breached the NRCPD Code of Conduct, you can raise a formal complaint by clicking the button below. This can be submitted in either written English or recorded in BSL. They will also accept reports over the phone or via SignVideo's video relay service. 

Information about the Code of Conduct is available in both English and British Sign Language here.

When making a formal complaint, it is important to keep any supporting evidence and to familiarise yourself with the Code of Conduct, because you will need to tell the NRCPD why you thought the interpreter didn't behave in the right way.