In the event that you are not happy with either the interpreting or the conduct of the interpreter you are working with, there are several options available if you want to complain.

Ideally, you should provide feedback to the interpreter first. The majority of interpreters aim to practice with integrity and usually accept feedback in the spirit with which it is intended; to support their development as professionals.

It is important to remember when considering feedback that interpreters are human beings first and foremost and everyone has days where their work may not the best representation of their abilities, this does not necessarily mean that they are unprofessional or unskilled. It just means that they are having an off day. Always talk to the interpreter first, your concerns may be able to be addressed on the day or via email.

If you are still not satisfied that the matter has been resolved, or you feel that the interpreter has not been receptive to feedback you can make a formal complaint here.

The NRCPD currently have two options for raising a complaint. The first option is to 'Raise a concern' - This is for people who have concerns about the interpreters work or behaviour, but do not want to pursue a formal complaint. This is a good way for the NRCPD to collate concerns about a particular interpreter. If they receive a few, they will be able to contact the interpreter and discuss this with them; potentially leading to the NRCPD implementing a development plan that the interpreter will be required to follow.

If you feel strongly that the interpreter behaved in a way that has breached the NRCPD Code of Conduct, you can raise a formal complaint. This can be submitted in either written English or recorded in BSL. They will require that you read the Code of Conduct and outline specific areas where you feel that the interpreter breached it.

Information about the Code of Conduct is available in both English and British Sign Language here.